Saturday, March 19, 2011

Escape from Ordinary Radio: Now with Gradients!


Craft-
Following my first version of this piece, I drew in a horizon line by using the rectangle select tool and then filling it in with gray, using the paint tool. I brushed up on the edges using the same gray shade with the brush tool, as well as using the bamboo set to tighten up the edges. After removing the original arrows made around the extraordinary radio, I added a circular gradient, choosing the solid to transparent option so the background can still be visible through the gradient. I used the eraser tool with a feather brush of 35 px and removed some of the color on the inside of the circle so the radio can be be more visible. Then, using the brush tool and the bamboo set, I drew rays of light coming out of the radio's sphere. Focusing on the ropes attached to the radios, I used the eraser tool through each line of rope. Last, I added a short text box at the top of the pedestal, then I used the warp text choice to bend the words around the front of the pedestal.

Composition-
There is a clear diagonal dynamic in the image. Since the focal point is the extraordinary radio, one's eye would move from the many radios since it's a repetitive motif, to the green person, following the red carpet since it narrows down to the pedestal to the radio sitting on top of the pedestal. The contrast of the red radio pieces and the red carpet compared to the rather bland background makes those objects pop out more.

Concept-
Based on the phrase, "Escape from ordinary radio," a man is attempting to run away from the radios that are shackled onto him. Because of the extraordinary radio waiting on the pedestal in front of him, he's turned green with envy. Through his exertion, he's freeing himself from the radios attached to him as he's running towards the extraordinary radio that is radiating with uniqueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment